UNSW-TONGJI Double Degree in Architecture


UNSW-Tongji Double Degree in Architecture

UNSW Built Environment has partnered with Tongji University in Shanghai to offer you an architectural education with a global focus. This unique double degree will be taught in English at UNSW and Tongji University, preparing you for practice in both China and Australia thereby providing a distinct advantage to progress your career at a global level.

“Tongji has been an amazing experience. The university and its architectural department has offered truly extraordinary professors with real-life architectural experience, and classes that have motivated and enhanced my creativity.”

Johannes Welander, Student

This degree is one of a kind in Australia, giving you a superior advantage amongst your peers. You will gain a truly unique, global experience by studying Chinese culture, experiencing life in China, and networking with fellow Chinese students from other degrees.

Why study the UNSW-Tongji Double Degree in Architecture?

Be unique

This double degree gives you the opportunity to study in two pre-eminent architecture schools in Australia (UNSW Built Environment) and China (Tongji University). It draws on the strength of educational traditions, systems and practices of both UNSW Built Environment and the College of Architecture and Urban Planning at Tongji University.

Be a highly sought-after graduate

The double degree will prepare you for practice in both China and Australia. It will give you a superior advantage amongst your peers as you will have gained a truly unique global education. The only one of its kind, this dual degree will make you a highly sought-after graduate, with endless opportunities to advance your career in architecture at a global level.

Professional accreditations

The UNSW-Tongji Double Degree in Architecture is the undergraduate pathway degree to the professionally accredited postgraduate Master of Architecture degree which has professional recognition from the NSW Architects Registration Board and Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (AACA). After obtaining the Master of Architecture you must complete two years of professional work experience and undertake the professional practice exam to become a registered architect.

"I'm really happy to be a student of this interesting program. In four years of the program you get a deeper understanding of the two countries. You will see colourful China, and amazing Australia. We have a hands-on approach in most of the courses and the teachers are very attentive toward each of us.”

Aimeerium Madiarova, Student

Your career opportunities

Your UNSW-Tongji Double Degree in Architecture is your pathway to the Master of Architecture degree.

Upon you postgraduate graduation, you will have the following career opportunities:

  • Consulting architect in private practice
  • Specialist architect such as heritage
  • Building scientist
  • Environmental consultant
  • Multidisciplinary design practice
  • Government architect’s office
  • Large commercial practice architectural firms
  • Architecture critic, academic and researcher

Establish your own global network

You will have the opportunity to establish your own global network whilst at Tongji University and UNSW, as you will be studying with students from all over the world. Students taking part in the double degree in Architecture are drawn from international high schools in China and around the world, where the language of instruction is English, as well as Australian high school leavers. The course is taught in English both at Tongji University and UNSW.

Gain invaluable cultural experiences

This course will give you unique and global experiences and opportunities. Whilst you are in Tongji, you will network with fellow Chinese students from other degrees, study Chinese culture and experience life in China.

You will be awarded two degrees

Upon completion, you will be awarded two degrees, a Bachelor of Architectural Studies from UNSW, and a Bachelor of Engineering (Architecture) from Tongji University.

How are my studies split between Tongji University and UNSW Built Environment?

The double degree in Architecture is a four year degree.

You will complete the first three semesters at Tongji University. You will then study four semesters at UNSW Built Environment and conclude your studies by spending your final semester in Tongji University.

Please refer to the program details for the full course outline.

About the College of Architecture and Urban Planning at Tongji University

Located in Shanghai, the College of Architecture and Urban Planning at Tongji University has a high international visibility that is unrivalled by most Chinese architecture schools. There are, on an average, 150 public lectures in one academic year offered by visiting academics, architects, urban planners and other built environment professionals from around the world.

Tongji University is one of the top three architectural education institutions in China. The College of Architecture and Urban Planning (CAUP) is one of the first colleges in China, offering program in architecture, urban planning, historic building preservation, landscape architecture, and industrial design.

Tongji University was founded in 1907 and is one of the key universities of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China. 

How to prepare for your stay in Tongji

Whilst this course will be taught in English, you may want to familiarise yourself with some basic Mandarin for your time outside Tongji university. UNSW Language Institute offers short Mandarin courses. This is independent of the UNSW/Tongji dual degree and is not a prerequisite or requirement. It is optional and is suggested if you have a personal interest in learning the language. More information on short courses is available here.

Upon availability, accommodation is offered on both campuses, at UNSW and Tongji University.

Enrolled students and their families will be invited to attend a pre departure seminar on China. Dates of the seminar will be confirmed and communicated once enrolments have been accepted.

*This dual degree is not available to PRC citizens.

Page Last Updated: 05 Apr 2017