Understand the inherent complexity of the city
The Graduate Certificate in City Analytics provides you with a unique offering, upskilling the next generation of practitioners and policy-makers with the ability to harness the power of data-driven approaches for understanding the inherent complexity of the city. This course will play an integral role in growing the skill set and culture of data-driven, evidenced-based policy and decision making across our cities, both in Australia and Internationally.
Upon graduation from this program you will be able to:
- Demonstrate both theoretical and practical grounding to be competent and confident in understanding, analysing, modelling, and visualising urban data
- Develop skills and applications in relevant computer technologies and a critical appreciation technology transfer in practice in the changing global context
- Develop and apply specialised knowledge and analytical skills to inform evidence-based policy and decision making processes
- Demonstrate the ability to apply research principles and methods applicable to smart cities in local, national and international contexts
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret and communicate knowledge, skills and ideas to both specialist and nonspecialist audiences with a focus on technology
- Demonstrate professional and ethical conduct and personal accountability consistent with industry expectations in the context of new technology and data governance
*This program is suspended and the final intake will be T3 2020. From 2021 you will be able to study City Analytics as a sequence of recommended electives in the UNSW Master of City Planning, as well as electives in other Built Environment programs.
The Graduate Certificate in City Analytics is a 0.7-year program. It consists of 4 courses. (24 Units Of Credit/UOC).
The program includes:
• 4 Core Courses
Key Areas of Study
GIS in Planning
Urban Data Visualisation.
For course listing, descriptions and timetables please see the UNSW Online Handbook.
As a graduate, you will have a well-grounded knowledge of city data, analytics, modelling and visualisation skills and how such skills can be applied to support evidence-based decision making and innovative forms of citizen engagement.
The Graduate Certificate in City Analytics will provide you with a unique and complementary offering upskilling the next generation of practitioners and policy-makers with the ability to harness the power of data-driven approaches to understanding the spatial and temporal dimensions of our cities, both past, present and future.
- Be connected to a global network
- Graduate Certificate entry available
- Pathway to extension program
- UNSW ranks 25th in the world and 4th in Australia in Architecture/Built Environment (QS World Rankings 2019)
- World class alumni connections
- UNSW Sydney ranks in the top 100 universities worldwide (Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2018
- UNSW has invested over $1.2 billion in student facilities and accommodation
- Member of prestigious Group of Eight (Go8)
- Strong industry links and partnerships
- In the 2015 Excellence for Research in Australia (ERA), UNSW was rated as the equal-top university nationally in Built Environment and Design. Its rating in Urban Planning research was also the joint highest in Australia.
The emerging field of smart cities is of interest and relevance to a wide range of professions and disciplines areas. Accordingly, the range of Bachelor degree subject areas considered a relevant background for admission to this program is quite broad. Applicants with undergraduate degrees in the following subject areas and who have achieved a credit average will be eligible for admission to the suite of City Analytics programs.
- Built Environment subject areas
- Computer Science
- Environmental Sciences
- Social science, social and public
Upon successful completion of the Graduate Certificate of City Analytics students may apply for entry into a Graduate Diploma or Master’s program with full credit for courses completed in earlier programs in the sequence.