City Planning and Laws

Bachelor of City Planning (Honours) and Bachelor of Laws

Prog. Code: 
UAC Code: 
6.5 years full-time Includes practice year
Law Admission Test + ATAR

Term 1

Adjustment factors available


This program provides you with the opportunity to obtain two professional degrees. It allows you to add the professionally recognised Law program to the professionally accredited City Planning (Hons) program offered by UNSW School of Built Environment. 

The program is a 6.5 year full-time combined program leading to the award of the two degrees of Bachelor of City Planning (Hons) and Bachelor of Laws (BCP (Hons) LLB).


Key Information

About this course

As the Bachelor of City Planning program contains a percentage of general education and electives which can be replaced by law courses, the combined program requires only five additional semesters of study to gain both qualifications.

In general, this study is taken concurrently with the Bachelor of City Planning (Hons) program and both can be completed in a minimum of 6.5 years, including a work integrated practice year as part of Bachelor of City Planning (Hons) requirements in year four.

Program details

The Bachelor of City Planning (Honours)/Bachelor of Laws is a 6.5-year program consisting of 43 courses, a Practice Year and 1 thesis (312 Units Of Credit/UOC).

The program includes:

  • 16 Law Compulsory Courses
  • 1 Prescribed Law Elective Course
  • 7 Law Elective Courses
  • 1 City Planning Thesis
  • 1 Plan Making Studio Course
  • 15 City Planning Core Courses
  • 3 Prescribed Elective Courses (choose from within City Planning)
  • Practice Year includes 5 Practice Courses completed during 1 year of practical experience

Practice Year
In your fourth year, you'll undertake five Practice courses which underpin and structure the work-integrated-learning Practice Year. You'll be able to apply your integrated theoretical and technical skills and knowledge to real-world practice and in turn, bring insights from your hands-on experience back into the classroom. Running throughout the year, opportunities for you to understand and assess your own direction and how it relates to both studies and professional development are maximised.

You could work across a breadth of planning and related positions: state government, local authorities, urban consultancies, development companies private practice and NGOs.

In your fifth year of study, you'll devise and independently undertake a major thesis project, where you'll focus on a particular area of specialised interest and build further depth and expertise to the critical ideas and knowledge you have already gained.

Key Areas of Study
In your Law degree, you will be able to study areas of the law that complement your City Planning degree, such as land law, strata and community titles, and construction contracts.

City Planning key areas of study include: 

Urban society, theory, history
City economics and development
Environment and sustainability
City building – infrastructure and transport
Strategic spatial planning
Planning law and administration
Planning research and analysis
Urban management and development assessment
Professionalism, ethics and practice
Urban design and plan making
Communication, engagement and participation

For course listing, descriptions and timetables please see the UNSW Online Handbook. 


The Bachelor of City Planning (Honours) is accredited by the Planning Institute of Australia (PIA).

As a Planning student, you can take part in the PIA Young Planners network which brings together students and new graduate planners for social and professional events.

The Bachelor of Laws is accredited by the Legal Profession Admission Board (NSW).

Why UNSW School of Built Environment
  • Benefit from research-informed teaching
  • World class alumni connections
  • UNSW Sydney ranks in the top 100 universities worldwide (Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2019)
  • UNSW Graduates are the most hired by LinkedIn's top 30 most in-demand employers in 2015
  • UNSW has invested over $1.2 billion in student facilities and accommodation
  • Member of prestigious Group of Eight (Go8)
  • Strong industry links and partnerships
  • In the 2015 Excellence for Research in Australia (ERA) UNSW was rated as the equal-top university nationally in Built Environment and Design. Its rating in Urban Planning research was also the joint highest in Australia.
Entry requirements

Entry to this degree is calculated from your score in the Law Admissions Test (LAT), and your Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or an equivalent calculated from the following:

  •     NSW HSC and Interstate Year 12 Qualifications 
  •     International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB)
  •     GCE A-Levels
  •     New Zealand NCEA Level 3
  •     Overseas secondary qualifications considered equivalent to Australian studies
  •     Post-secondary or tertiary studies such as completed TAFE diplomas and other university studies 
  •     University preparation programs

Domestic students
For further information on domestic admission requirements, see UNSW Future Students degree finder.

International students
For further information on international admission requirements, see the International Undergraduate Direct Entry Table and the UNSW English Language requirements.

If you did not meet the entry cut-off of this degree, please continue on reading about pathways into this degree.


If you have not met the direct entry requirements to this degree, make sure to consider the following:

Bonus Points

Education Access Scheme
Life isn't always smooth sailing.  Things like illness, financial hardship, language difficulties and school environment may mean you don't always get your best marks in years 11 and 12.  The Educational Access Scheme is designed to assist you.

Indigenous Admission Scheme
Nura Gili provides support and information for future and current Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students at UNSW. If you are indigenous, you can apply through the UNSW Indigenous Admissions Scheme, which is administered by Nura Gili in conjunction with the Faculties and Schools across the university.

Internal Program Transfer
Out Internal Program Transfer (IPT) enables you to move from one program to another within UNSW, without having to apply again through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). This means, if you don’t get into the degree you want, you can start another UNSW degree, such as the Bachelor of City Planning, and if you meet the academic requirements, can transfer to the new degree you want the following year.

If you gain entry into the new program, you can then apply to be assessed for transfer credits for courses you’ve already completed.

Pathways through other educational institutions

Other Universities 
If you did not meet the entry cut-off of this degree, you might want to consider studying an undergraduate degree at another university and apply to transfer the following year. We consider all university qualifications for entry to UNSW and assess credit for prior learning, even if the qualification is unrelated to what you want to study. 

You must complete at least 0.75 of a full-time equivalent study load in one degree. (i.e. 2 full-time semesters or 1 full-time semester and 1 part-time semester). 

To study at UNSW you will need to submit an application via the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). UAC will calculate a new rank based from your first year of tertiary study results OR your high school ATAR (or equivalent) - whichever is better.   

If you gain entry into the new program, you can then apply to be assessed for transfer credits for courses you’ve already completed. 

TAFE or Private College
Completing a Certificate IV or higher from institutions like TAFE and private colleges can be a pathway to UNSW.  The course must be graded and accredited by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). 

To study at UNSW you will need to submit an application via the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).

If you gain entry, you can then apply to be assessed for transfer credits for courses you completed at TAFE/College.

How to apply

Law Admissions Test (LAT)
Applicants to Undergraduate Law at UNSW need to sit the LAT. Find out how to apply on the Faculty of Law website.

Domestic students
If you are an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen, you apply online through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).

Find out more about applying for a bachelor degree at UNSW.

International students
If you are an international student, and you’re completing an Australian Year 12, the NZ NCEA Level 3 qualification, or the International Baccalaureate (IB) in Australia or overseas, you apply online through UAC International.

All other international students apply directly to UNSW.

Transferring within UNSW
You can apply to transfer between UNSW degrees after completing a minimum of 6 courses (36 UOC) through UNSW Internal Program Transfer.

Assessment is based on the achievement of a pre-determined average grade.

Alternatively, you can apply for transfer between UNSW degrees through UAC (domestic students) or directly with UNSW (international students) after completing a minimum of 6 courses (36 UOC). Assessment is based on your ATAR (or equivalent) and/or studies at UNSW.

If you gain entry into a program at UNSW, you can then be assessed for transfer credit for courses (subjects) studied in your previous degree. 

Transferring from outside UNSW
You can apply for transfer into a UNSW degree if you meet the entry requirements for that degree. Assessment is based on your ATAR and/or results from university studies. For your university studies to count towards your new assessment you must have completed a minimum of 6 courses (36UOC) at the other University.

Note: Certificate IV and Diplomas (from TAFE or private providers) are only considered if they are AQF accredited and completed.

Apply online through UAC (domestic students) or directly with UNSW (international students).

If you gain entry into a program at UNSW, you can then be assessed for transfer credit for courses (subjects) studied in your previous degree or diploma.