Semester 1 commences in September at Tongji University.
ATAR + portfolio + interview
UNSW Built Environment has partnered with Tongji University in Shanghai to offer you an architectural education with a global focus.
UNSW Built Environment has partnered with Tongji University in Shanghai to offer you an architectural education with a global focus. This unique double degree, taught in English at UNSW and Tongji University, prepares you for practice in both China and Australia and provides a distinct advantage to progress your career at a global level.
This double degree allows you to study in two pre-eminent architecture schools in Australia (UNSW Built Environment) and China (Tongji University). It draws on the strength of educational traditions, systems and practices of both UNSW Built Environment and the College of Architecture and Urban Planning at Tongji University.
The double degree will prepare you for practice in both China and Australia. It will give you a superior advantage amongst your peers as you will have gained a truly unique global education. The only one of its kind, this double degree will make you a highly sought-after graduate, with endless opportunities to advance your career in architecture at a global level.
The UNSW/Tongji Double Degree in Architecture is your pathway to the Master of Architecture degree. Upon your postgraduate graduation, you will have the following career opportunities:
Consulting architect in private practice
Specialist architect in areas such as heritage
Architect within multidisciplinary design practices
Roles within large commercial architectural firms
Architectural critic, academic or researcher
The UNSW/Tongji Double Degree in Architecture is an undergraduate pathway to the professionally accredited postgraduate Master of Architecture, which has professional recognition from the NSW Architects Registration Board and Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (AACA). To become a registered architect, you must also complete two years of professional work experience and undertake the professional practice exam.
Students of architecture can join the national student-membership body of the Australian Institute of Architects, SONA. SONA aims to advance the interests of architecture students, architectural education and architecture through the promotion of student work and thinking.
- UNSW is in the top 27 in the world and 4th in Australia in Architecture/Built Environment (QS World University Rankings, 2020)
- Tongji University is ranked 18th in the world in Architecture (QS 2020 ranking)
- World class alumni connections
- We're a global top 50 university. UNSW ranked in the top 50 universities worldwide (QS World University Rankings, 2020)
- UNSW has the Most Employable Students (Winner, Australian Financial Review Most Employable Students Award 2020)
- We're ranked 13th in the world and 2nd in Australia for Employer Reputation in Built Environment
- Member of prestigious Group of Eight (Go8) universities
- Strong industry links and partnerships
- The only Architecture school in Australia with a Pritzker Prize winner (regarded as the Nobel Prize in architecture) Professor Glenn Murcutt, UNSW alumnus, on our teaching staff.
- The only Architecture school in Australia endowed with three Chairs, the Seidler Chair in the Practice of Architecture, the Judith Neilson Chair in Architecture and the Anita Lawrence Chair in High Performance Architecture. The Seidler Chair aims to deliver excellence in design studio education and is held by Pritzker prize winner Glenn Murcutt AO. The Judith Neilson Chair is held by Professor David Sanderson and aims to lead research and education to support disadvantaged communities displaced by natural disasters, geo-political conflicts, socio-economic exclusion and environmental factors. Professor Mattheos Santamouris holds the Anita Lawrence Chair.
The entry requirements for this degree is based on a combination of higher school academic results, portfolio submission and an interview.
Applicants must meet the UNSW International Student Admission Requirements for Architectural Studies and UNSW English Language Requirements.
Portfolio and Interview are also part of the assessment process.
This degree is only available for high school leavers. Students who are currently enrolled in architecture degrees will not be eligible to apply.
This degree is not available to citizens of China; this includes residents of Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao and Mainland China.
Application process for domestic students
Applicants must submit a digital portfolio to UNSW Built Environment via the portfolio submission page.
The portfolio is a selected collection of creative work that will provide initial evidence of your talent and potential in visual art, design, conceptual thinking and craftsmanship. It should be a summary of your best creative outputs in a maximum of five pages A4 digital format (hard copies will not be accepted). It is essential that the portfolio itself, and all the work in it, has been created by you.
Successful applicants will be invited to a 30-minute interview with UNSW and Tongji staff at UNSW Kensington.
After the interview, applicants must also submit an online application directly to the Tongji University website. For detailed instructions, please consult the guide to submitting an online application. Applications for the Tongji double degree in Architecture are not made through UAC (University Admission Centre).
A non-refundable application fee of $80USD applies upon submission of the formal application.
If you are successful at the interview stage and meet the entry requirements as mentioned above, you will receive an offer into the Tongji Double Degree in Architecture.
Upon successful completion of the first 1.5 years at Tongji University, Australian students will need to apply for their guaranteed place in Year 2 of the Built Environment Architectural Studies program through the UAC.
Application process for International students
International applicants must submit an online application directly to the Tongji University website. For detailed instructions, please consult the guide to submitting an online application. This degree is not available to citizens of China; this includes residents of Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao and Mainland China.
Tongji's first semester starts in September. Offers will be made in January or July depending on when the application is completed.
Tongji online applications open 15 November and close 31 May.
If you are successful at the interview stage and meet the academic requirements, you will receive an offer into the Tongji Double Degree in Architecture.
Applicants who have additional questions about the Tongji online application process should contact Hannah Dong at Tongji University. Her email address is email@example.com.