Teaching and Research Project Supervision
- M.A. Environmental History 2015
- University of the Sunshine Coast
- Thesis: Interpreting the human‐landscape dynamic of the Maleny region
- University of the Sunshine Coast
- Thesis: Indigenous land management in urban and peri‐urban landscapes
- M.S. Agricultural and Applied Economics 2014
- University of Wyoming
- Thesis: The impact of residential development pattern on wildland fire suppression expenditures
- M.S. Agricultural and Applied Economics 2012
- University of Wyoming
- Thesis: Economic and ecological tradeoffs of targeting conservation easements for habitat protection: A case study of Sublette County, Wyoming.
Other research areas
City analytics and spatial planning
Smith E.F., Lieske S.N., Keys N., and Smith T. 2016. Rapid regional-scale assessments of socio-economic vulnerability to climate change. Environmental Research Letters 11(3). DOI: 10.1088/1748-9326/11/3/034016.
Lewison R.L., Rudd M.A., Al-Hayek W., Baldwin C., Beger M., Lieske S.N., Jones C., Satumanatpan S., Junchompoo C. and Hines E. 2016. Using DPSIR frameworks to structure and analyze coastal systems: linking current applications to future possibilities. Environmental Science and Policy 56, 110-119. DOI:10.1016/j.envsci.2015.11.001
Singh-Peterson L., Lieske S.N., Keys, N. and Underhill, S.J.R. 2016. Food security, remoteness and consolidation of supermarket distribution centres: factors contributing to food pricing inequalities across Queensland, Australia. Australian Geographer 47(1) 89–102. DOI: 10.1080/00049182.2015.1093700
Smith E.F., Keys N., Lieske S.N. and Smith T. 2015. Socio-economic Vulnerability to Climate Change Impacts in New South Wales and Queensland, Australia. Geographical Research 53(4) 451-465. DOI: 10.1111/1745-5871.12137
Lieske S.N., McLeod D.M, Coupal R.H. 2015. Infrastructure Development, Residential Growth and Impacts on Public Service Expenditure. Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy. 8(2) 113–130. DOI: 10.1007/s12061-015-9140-8
Lieske S.N., Martin K, Grant B. and Baldwin C. 2015. Visualization methods for linking scientific and local knowledge of climate change impacts. In Planning Support Systems and Smart Cities Geertman S., Stillwell J., Ferreira J. and Goodspeed R. (eds) Springer. pp. 373-389. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-18368-8_20
Lieske S.N. 2015. Costs of sprawl in the metropolitan West: census block group evaluation of public service expenditures. Western Economics Forum. 14(1) 1-11.
Grant B., Baldwin C., Lieske S.N and Martin K. 2015. Using participatory visual methods for information exchange about climate risk in canal estate communities. Australian Journal of Maritime & Ocean Affairs 7(1) 23-37. DOI: 10.1080/18366503.2015.1014012
Lieske S.N. and Hamerlinck J.D. 2015. Integrating planning support systems and multicriteria evaluation for energy facility site suitability evaluation. Journal of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association 26(1), 13-24.
Hamerlinck J.D. and Lieske S.N. 2015. Siting carbon conversion energy facilities with spatial multi-criteria decision analysis. Papers in Applied Geography. 1(2) 197-204. DOI: 10.1080/23754931.2015.1009330
Walsh S.J., Carter R.W., Lieske S.N., Quiroga D. and Mena C.F. 2014. Examining threats to iconic National Parks through Modelling Global Change, Biocomplexity and Human Dynamics. The George Wright Forum 31(3) 311-323.
Pert P.L., Lieske S.N., and Hill R. 2013. Participatory development of a new interactive tool for capturing social and ecological dynamism in conservation prioritisation. Landscape and Urban Planning 114(1), 80-91. DOI:10.1016/j.landurbplan.2013.02.010
Lieske S.N., Coupal R.H., Hamerlinck J.D., McLeod D.M. and Scofield, A.M. 2013. Planning support systems for fiscally sustainable planning. In Planning Support Systems for Sustainable Urban Development. Geertman S., Stillwell J. and Toppen F. (eds.) Springer, Berlin. pp. 127-147.
Lieske S.N. and Hamerlinck J.D. 2013. Planning Support Systems Applications in Site Planning. Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) - Urban Design and Planning, 166(1), 34 –42.
Lieske S.N., McLeod D.M., Coupal R.H. and Srivastava S. 2012. Determining the relationship between urban form and the costs of public services. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 39(1), 155-173.
Lieske S.N. and Gribb W.J. 2012. Modeling high-resolution spatiotemporal land-use data. Applied Geography 35(1-2), 283-291.
Lieske S.N, Mullen S. and Hamerlinck J.D. 2009. Enhancing comprehensive planning with public engagement and planning support integration. In Geertman, S. and Stillwell, J. (eds.) Planning Support Systems: Best Practices and New Methods. Springer Science and Business Media B.V. pp. 295-315.
Lieske S.N. 2009. Maintaining downtown curb appeal in Sheridan, Wyoming. In Thomas, C. and Humenik-Sappington, N. (eds.) GIS For Decision Support and Public Policy Making. ESRI Press. Redlands, CA. pp. 165-170.
Lieske S.N. and Hamerlinck J.D. 2008. Modeling Downtown Parking Requirements with Planning Support Systems in Sheridan, Wyoming. The Western Planner. 29(3).
- Australian Government Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, Natural Resource Management Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Research Grants Program. Climate Change Adaptation for natural resource management in East Coast Australia. (2013)
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture U.S. Department of Agriculture. Determining the Relationship Between Development Pattern and the Costs of Public Services in the Mountain West (2011)
- National Park Service. Lewis and Clark National Historic Trial Inventory and Assessment. (2009)
Awards and Achievements
- University of the Sunshine Coast, University Research Week 2014, Best Early Career Research Presentation