Efficient 3D indoor navigation can offer customers access to relevant information and provide a more efficient method for using various indoor spaces. Indoor navigation is in demand for different users such as operational staff, emergency and first aid officers as well as the general public. Indoor navigation can be a game-changing technology enabling to understand people interactions within different environments and provide valuable real-time information about indoor space. While the purpose of indoor navigation for hospitals and malls is to ensure navigational assistance, others want to integrate indoor navigation to better serve the customers. For the navigation to be meaningful accurate indoor maps, 3D indoor models and up-to-date Building Information Model (BIM) are crucial components that should be integrated into the system. Technology should also be developed accordingly taking care of specific requirements of users.
GRID aims to deliver a solution which combines BIM/3DGIS models with people preferences and abilities to provide effective 3D indoor navigation. Some of the aspects that we aim to achieve with enabled indoor navigation cover following areas:
- Monitoring where people are
- Predicting where and when the next activity is
- Making use of other available data, like timetables
- Flexible and efficient use of available space
- Dynamic route and wayfinding to different locations of interest
- Automatic extraction of accessibility maps for different users
- Seamless transition between indoor and outdoor spaces
Providing just-in-time information associated with the proximity to a location
- Understanding customers’ needs and behavioural patterns
- Evacuation simulation modeling along with finding optimal egress design
- These components combine to form a full end-to-end outdoor to indoor routing experience for users.
- Our vision is outlined by three major criteria that we carry out along with investigations and developments:
- Respect for the privacy of the data and clear specification of the IP issues.
- Priority to the re-use of existing data and tools rather than the systematic setup of new ones
- Priority to open-source tools, in accordance with the two previous points.
Our team of experts will be committed to delivering an effective proof of concepts along with a high-quality consultancy
in several domains relevant to the stakeholders. Expected deliverables can be listed as follow:
- Detailed reports addressing identified issues and use cases for the stakeholders.
- Proof of concepts including prototypes of software.
- National and international publications to provide visibility to the parties involved.