Thanks to the generous gift from Sonja Lyneham, the Faculty of Built Environment, UNSW, is currently offering the Sonja Lyneham PhD Scholarship. As described in a recent publication by Robert Freestone and Nicola Pullan in Australian Planner, Sonja Lyneham (1947–2016) was a prominent Sydney based planner and director of a large and pre-eminent planning practice at a time when relatively few women were involved in leadership positions in urban planning and development.
The total amount for the Sonja Lyneham Scholarship is A$122,500 over a period of 3.5 years. The Scholarship will be paid as a stipend for general living costs at $30,000 per annum and a research allowance of $5,000 per annum.
- The Scholarship is available to new applicants only.
- The Scholarship is available to full-time and part-time applicants, although a full-time applicant is preferred.
- The duration and payment of the Scholarship will be pro rata if awarded to a part time candidate.
- The applicant must be eligible to study for a PhD in the Faculty of Built Environment, UNSW. Applicants may check their eligibility from the Admissions Policy, Admission to HDR Program Procedure, and HDR Admissions and Pathways Guideline: https://research.unsw.edu.au/research-training-policy-framework.
- The Scholarship is open to both domestic and international applicants.
- Academic merit
- Interest in a research and/or an academic career in Urban Planning, Property and Infrastructure; applicants must prepare a statement to demonstrate their interest and how their output will contribute to the relevant field
- An Expression of Interest with research proposal and relevant documentation (see How to apply below).
- The applicant must seek out an appropriate supervisor from the UNSW Built Environment website: https://www.be.unsw.edu.au/our-people or University’s Find a Researcher Tool: https://research.unsw.edu.au/researcher
How to apply
UNSW Built Environment requires that you complete the following 4-Step process:
Step 1: Meet Entry Requirements
Step 2: Find a Supervisor
Step 3: Meet with the Supervisor
Step 4: Application Assessed at Higher Degree Committee (HDC)
For more information on how to apply, please visit our website at https://www.be.unsw.edu.au/degrees/postgraduate-research/phd and check the ‘How to apply’ folder.
Closing date – 14 August 2020
Associate Professor Riza Yosia Sunindijo
Director of Postgraduate Research