Dr Mariano Ramirez
PhD TUPhil | MSc Industrial Design UNSW | BSc Industrial Design cum laude MapúaTech | PGradC Sustainable Product Development TUDelft | GradC University Learning & Teaching UNSW
Dr Mariano Ramirez Jr is a Senior Lecturer in the Industrial Design program at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Sydney, Australia. His doctoral dissertation at the Technological University of the Philippines concerned the delivery of ecological design education via online tools. He obtained his Master of Industrial Design from UNSW, and studied Sustainable Technology and Product Development at the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands.
Prior to joining UNSW in 2001, Dr Ramirez was Academic Chair for Industrial Design at the De La Salle University College of Saint Benilde and Assistant Professor at the Mapúa Institute of Technology in Manila; and Senior Industrial Design Specialist at the Product Development and Design Centre of the Philippines. He has worked with a number of Philippine manufacturers on creative product, package and graphic development. He is Convenor of the Oceania chapter of the international Learning Network on Sustainability (LeNS).
Dr Ramirez' current areas of research interest include dematerialization of contemporary lifestyles via sustainable product-service systems. He is also interested in fostering positive social change and sustainable behaviours through design; optimization of product lifetimes; sustainability integration in industrial design education and practice; and the contributions of industrial design to achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Mariano has supervised several honours and higher degree research students at UNSW and has examined dissertations of PhD, MPhil and MDes candidates from universities in Australia and overseas. He is a regular contributor to peer-reviewed international conferences and journals on design and sustainability, and sits in the scientific review committees of various academic publications.
FBE Research Link Grants 2013. Environmentally sustainable design practices amongst consumer electronics manufacturing companies’. With Anuj Dhawan.
UNSW International Research Collaboration Scheme 2011. Sustainable design workshops with consumer electronics designers in Hong Kong/Guangzhou and Sydney. With Dr Miles Park & Prof Benny Leong.
UNSW International Research Collaboration Scheme 2011. Responsible design amongst Indian consumer product designers. With Prof Shashank Mehta.
FBE Research Link Grants 2010. Ecodesign strategies amongst Chinese and American industrial design consultancies. With Jessica Tong and Joseph Louis Tan.
FBE Research Cluster Initiatives 2007. Encouraging sustainable consumption in urban communities: designing future scenarios for product sharing facilities. With Dr Oya Demirbilek and Catharina Nawangpalupi.
FBE Research Link Grants 2006. Sustainability practices among Australia’s Superbrands. With Matthew Spruell.
FBE Research Link Grants 2005. Database of Chinese-language industrial design universities. With Reuben Png.
FBE Publication & Research Support Scheme 2003. Toy libraries in Australia as a strategy for dematerialised communities.
- Editorial Board, Sustainability ISSN 2071-1050 MDPI Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute, Switzerland
- Regional Convenor for LeNS Oceania: Learning Network on Sustainability, 2006-present.
- UNSW-MAHE (Manipal Academy of Higher Education) Collaborative Research Seed Grants 2020. ‘Circular economy and collaborative consumption: exploring new business models to achieve sustainability within the apparel industry’. $20,000
- DFAT New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants 2019. For: ‘Industrial Design in Korea’. $49,500.
- DET Endeavour Leadership Program Mobility Grants 2019. For: ‘Sustainable Product Design in Europe’ $26,500
- DFAT Council of Australian Latin American Relations (COALAR) International Relations Grant 2019. $44,000. 'South-to-South: Activating Australia Latin America Relations through Design for Sustainability Education'. In partnership with RMIT University, Universidad El Bosque, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, Universidade de São Paulo, Universidade do Estado de Minas Gerais, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Universidade Federal do Pernambuco, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Universidade Federal Fluminense, and Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- BE Learning and Teaching Award for Blended Learning Excellence 2017.
- BE Dean's Research Excellence Award 2012.
- BE Associate Dean Education Teaching Commendation 2007, 2008, 2009: for IDES1012 Safe Workshop Practices, one of the highest CATEI-rated courses in the Faculty of Built Environment.
- UNSW Gordon J Samuels International Fellowship 2008. Hosted by Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM), Mexico.
- UNSW Special Studies Programme 2005. Hosted by National Institute of Design Ahmedabad, Tsinghua University Beijing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, De La Salle College of Saint Benilde Manila.
- Emerald Literati Network Award for Excellence 2007. Highly Commended Paper ‘Sustainability in the education of industrial designers: the case for Australia’ in International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education v7n2.
- United Nations Environment Programme. Sponsored delegate to Expert Conference on the Marrakech Process Creating Solutions for Sustainable Consumption and Production, Wuppertal 2006.
- Netherlands Fellowship Programme. Full scholarship to study Sustainable Technology and Product Development at Delft University of Technology, Delft 1997.
- Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft CDG. Full scholarship to study EcoDesign Product Management, Hamburg 2002.
- Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft CDG. Full scholarship to study Ecological Product Design, Mannehim + Köln 1996.
- RMIT University. Invited examiner for PhD and Master of Design dissertations, 2012.
- University of Technology Sydney. Invited examiner for Master of Design dissertation, 2008.
- University of Western Sydney. Invited examiner for PhD dissertation, 2009.
- University of Technology Sydney | Institute for Sustainable Futures. Invited cosupervisor for PhD research student, 2010-2013.
- University of Canterbury NZ. Invited cosupervisor for PhD research student, 2020-2022.
- Politecnico di Milano | Design and System Innovation for Sustainability. Invited evaluator for PhD dissertation, 2011.
- Scientific Review Committee: E&PDE2013 Dublin, DRS//Cumulus 2013 Oslo, E&PDE2012 Antwerp, WSEAS EDU2008 Venice, ConnectED2007 Sydney, ASME DTM 2010 Montreal. Sustainable Consumption 2011 Hamburg.
- Reviewer, Emerald Publishing | International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 2012.
He also supervises research projects of Bachelor of Industrial Design (Honours) students in IDES4101 'Design Studio 7: Enquiry', as well as in BENV7019 'Initiating the Research' for MPhil and PhD candidates.
• Editorial Board, Sustainability ISSN 2071-1050 MDPI Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute, Switzerland
• Project Leader, South-to-South: Activating Australian Latin American Cooperation through Design for Sustainability Education, 2019.
• Regional Convenor for Oceania: Learning Network on Sustainability, 2006-present.
• Philippine Liaison: O2 Sustainable Design Network, 1997-present.
• Executive Committee: Society for Responsible Design, 2003-2012
• PhD External Examiner: Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology; University of Technology Sydney; University of Western Sydney.
• Scientific Committee: Journal of Design Research, Journal of Cleaner Production
• Design Education Associate Member: Design Institute of Australia, 2012-present.
• Visiting Academic, De La Salle College of St Benilde, Manila 2005.
• Visiting Academic, Ewha Woman’s University, Korea 2019.
• Visiting Academic, Hong Kong Polytechnic University 2005 + 2016.
• Visiting Academic, Hongik University, Korea 2019.
• Visiting Academic, Instituto Tecnológico de Monterrey, Mexico 2008.
• Visiting Academic, Kyoto Institute of Technology, Japan 2018.
• Visiting Academic, Mapua Institute of Technology, Manila 2005.
• Visiting Academic, National Institute of Design, India 2005.
• Visiting Academic, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, 2019
• Visiting Academic, Seoul National University, Korea 2019.
• Visiting Academic, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China 2017.
• Visiting Academic, Tsinghua University, China 2005.
• Visiting Academic, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina 2019
• Visiting Academic, Universidad El Bosque, Colombia 2019.
• Visiting Academic, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, 2019
• Visiting Academic, Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil 2019
• Visiting Academic, Universidade do Estado de Minas Gerais 2019
• Visiting Academic, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais 2019
• Visiting Academic, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Brazil 2019
• Visiting Academic, Universidade Federal do Pernambuco, 2019
• Visiting Academic, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 2019
Dematerialization of contemporary lifestyles via sustainable product-service systems
Fostering positive social change and sustainable behaviours through design
Optimization of product lifetimes through emotional product attachment
Sustainability integration in industrial design education and practice
Contributions of industrial design to achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- BE HDR Team
- School Leadership
- Key Contacts
- UG Teaching Staff
- PG Teaching Staff
- Research Centre Staff
- Research Cluster Staff